Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cousins are the coolest

It was long ago and far away ... (another one of my favorite song)


I was nine and she was eighteen. Eighteen with a guitar and an amazing voice. She knew all the worlds to Bye bye Miss America Pie, drove my chevy to the levy (we actually walked to a haunted house, down a long farmers path, away from all the adults singing this song) I remember my sister shel, her sister becky and our other cousin debbie ... and the make believe band in the house. Someone found something to beat on for drums, and I played air guitar. And we all sang, but not like the coolest cousin. That was 33 years ago, the summer of 72, hippy clothes were in and coolness was at its peak, at least for a nine year old.


Last week, after all those years, I got to spend a few days with my coolest cousin in Arizona, so far from Salem Ohio, and she got out her guitar and sang some home spun songs for me and I was transformed back to being nine, in awe. Bouncing on one of those giant exercise balls, smiling like a kid that had just lost her two front teeth, that giant smile that only a mom can truly appreciate. And she just floated in her own little "I can't believe I am doing this, I never do this, never ever" world, but continued to pluck away for a few more songs. And I am forever grateful. And in tears at the moment, so blessed, entirely blessed beyond words. To have my coolest cousin back in my life and well, we have SOOO much in common. I am from this family, this artistic, cool, inspiration family and I am normal, well as far as normal can get you ... but better than all of that ... we are cooler than normal people, we are artistic, both in similar and different ways. I am 46 and cool. Hmmmph.



Artistic people look normal too.

1 comment:

  1. Well, criminy. This was a surprise. And touching. And it made me all teary. What a sweet little thing to write. Awwww.... OK, just awwwwww....Thanks, Allie, that was totally lovely.

    ReplyDelete