Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Perfect Mexican Dinner

I was once married to a guy (no duh) and he had a sister that was married too. 
We did everything together. 
We married a month apart.
We had our first borns 6  months apart.
We live in the desert in California. 
Yeah, really, don't be surprised that California is more than sunshine, plastic surgery and landslides. 
We both are divorced and remarried now. 
I mean the sister, my x sister in law are remarried, but we still say sister in laws because we still love each other.
Anyway, that was a small detour.  Anyway, she was married to a hispanic guy and she learned to make great mexican cuisine.  And then she taught me. 
BUT, she can't take credit for this dish.  LOL  I no longer use her very good chicken enchilada recipe, I have a new recipe that I like better and I am going to share it with you all today! 

My Delicious Chicken Enchiladas

3 small or 2 large chicken breast (cooked ... I like roasting mine with olive oil and tex-joy seasoning)
1 c sour cream
2-3 c fresh cheddar cheese
1 T chopped jalepenos
2 T chopped onion
1/2 T butter
(if you like your enchiladas hotter, add more jalepenos)
1 lg can enchilada sauce (or 2 small, El Paso is fine)
8-10 flour soft tortilla shells
9x12 casserole dish

Combine jalepenos, onions and butter.  Microwave for a minute.

Combine onion mixture, shredded chicken, sour cream and 2 cups cheese.  (The reason I say 2-3 cups is we like our chicken enchiladas cheesy, so I mix 2 cups and sprinkle 1 cup on top the last 5 minutes)

Put a third of the sauce on the bottom of the dish.  Place a large tablespoon of mixture in the middle of the flour shell and spread, roll up and place in dish.  Do this until you are out of mixture.  I like using the small flour shells vs the large ones because they are prettier on the plate and I can't eat a large one, but Vandy tries to eat two large ones, so .... PORTION control!

Once you have finished rolling the enchiladas, top them with the remaining sauce.  AND make sure you get the sauce between the enchiladas so they are flavored all around.  You can even roll the stuffed enchiladas in the sauce as you put them in the dish.  Bake for 30 - 45 minutes, or until really bubbly.  Remember, I add the other cup of cheese the last 5 minutes, or just switch the oven to broil to warm up the top of the enchiladas. 


I also make creamy rice and black beans.  What do you think?  And my new white plates .. woooohooooo, we ate like, well like, like the Vanderberg's and company!!! 

Enjoy the recipe!

1 comment:

  1. This picture made me hungry. Hey, share the creamy rice recipe, too, K? It looks delicious. But why isn't there very much cheese on it?

    ReplyDelete